Thursday, June 25, 2015

Frogs - One of the worst movies ever made?



Frogs (1972) Poster
Ribbit - nothing happens - ribbit ...


You don't have to type "worst horror film ever made" into a search engine to find this film, but it helps.

I remember this movie being aired, either on The Paranormal Channel, back when there was a Paranormal Channel, or , less likely, the Sci-Fi channel.

I love the title. I love how it gets straight to the point. Not the film though.

When I realised that this was going to be a 'shit' film, I settled in for a different kind of ride. The 'How Bad Can This Get' a-Coaster. This was unsatisfying too. It was a film where Not Much Happens At All. For a very long time. I fell asleep.

And while it's not a 'so bad it's good' movie, I still think of it. Yesterday, I was working in the car, parked up by some trees so get some shade, and suddenly, on the other side of the those trees, came the chattering of what must have been dozens of frogs. It started as what could be described as background noise, the occasional chirrup, which soon rose to a cacophony, so that one might feel they could actually see the sound approaching, rattling the bushes and tearing leaves from the trees. The multiple sounds rose like one body, one menacing body, making itself big to scare off a predator.

And then I thought of this film, in which frogs weren't scary at all, but they could be.

I started thinking about the creatures or objects that are never considered scary and could they have their own unlikely but incredibly effective horror movie. I already have a few stories along these lines, which will become evident as they are published or complete. Until then, I've been tying to put together some more. For example:

Nits! - They'll Eat Your Scalp - pretty scary actually; too scary

The Ladybird - kind of like The Fly, but red and black and with a woman as the monster.

Marianne came up with:

Sloth!

The tagline could be: "Darkness Sleeps"

Any suggestions for the most unlikely horror movie/novel content appreciated.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post!! Thanks for sharing this.

Xtreme No
Xtremeno